It is pretty amazing when your toddler can start eating anything, but it can also be a little bit challenging and overwhelming. Especially when you prepare something you think he/she is going to love and they don’t even want to try it out.
Useful Tips for Picky Eaters
1. Allow your toddler to feed him/her self
I discovered that it is easier to get toddlers to try something new if you allow them to touch and explore the food on their own first. I know this might be frustrating for some parents because it definetely means a mess all over the kitchen. But I promise it is worth it in more ways than you think.
They will not only try any new food but the different textures in the food are a way of sensory stimulation that will provide your toddler with meaningful information. Plus allowing your kids to get messy will also help them to learn how to self feed and gain independence.
So next time you are about to feed your toddler allow him/her to “play” with their food and see what happens.
2. Let them tell you when they are full
Parents usually get frustrated when their kids don’t finish their meal. Trust me I have been there a thousand of times. But I decided to let my son eat as much or as little as he wants. With this, I have notice there are some days he finishes all his meal and wants more and then there are other days where he is not that hungry and will only try a couple of bites. Allowing them to eat what they want is fine. Toddler’s appetites typically change with the days and weeks and depends on if they are going through a growth spurt.
3. Offer healthy snacks between meals
Giving toddlers snacks between meals is really important especially if you are letting them tell you when they are full. By giving them snacks you are making sure they are eating enough and helps them balance out an uneven diet.
These are some meal ideas you toddler can eat on his own:
- Banana Oatmeal Pancakes: 1/2 cup oat + 1/2 smashed banana + 1 egg + 1 tsp cinnamon + pinch of milk
- Veggie Chips with Hummus: Sliced beets, parsnips or jicama + hummus
- Guacamole with Chips
- Energy Bars: Check out the full recipe here: Banana Caramel Cashew Energy Bars
- Sweet or Savory Homemade Muffins: Check out the full recipe here: Gluten Free Raspberry Muffins Breakfast Egg Muffins
Please share your tips to ensure your toddler is getting enough nutrients in their meals and snacks!