For those of us who’ve lost track of which day it is after being at home for weeks, Mother’s Day is almost here! Obviously, this year will be a little different without the option to head out to brunch or browse local shops for gifts. That’s where we come in! Here are some special Mother’s Day gifts and treats from small businesses we love.
Pro Tip: Don’t forget a card! It’s even better if your kids make one.
MEAL KITS & DELIVERY
I usually love cooking meals for my family and trying new recipes, but cooking three meals (plus snacks) a day, every day has definitely started taking a toll. A delivered meal sounds like a dream this Mother’s Day, as does a meal kit to make some of my favorite restaurant dishes I’ve been missing out on.
- Le Diplomate is offering cheese, pastry, and wine pickup between 11:00am and 1:00pm (helloooo brunch), and delivery of a limited menu between 1:00pm and 8:00pm via Caviar.
- Unconventional Diner will deliver family-style meals via Postmates. Bonus points for its kid-friendly items!
- Occasions Caterers is offering amazing home delivery meals. Read more about our experience here!
- If you’ve been trying (and failing) to get a reservation at Maydan, you may finally be able to try some of their famous dishes! Family-style platters are available along with their legendary spreads and small plates. Unfortunately, they don’t deliver, but pickup is available every day but Monday and Tuesday.
- District Donut will not only deliver donuts (minimum 6 for delivery) but also offers a bake-at-home cinnamon roll kit. Kid-friendly activity + delicious breakfast = Perfect Mother’s Day.
- Who doesn’t love pizza? Lots of local restaurants are offering pizza kits, including All Purpose and Centrolina.
- Stellina offers both meat-based and vegetarian pasta kits for pickup or delivery. And, if you need it, they’ll deliver hand sanitizer, too.
MOM & ME GIFTS
Mother’s Day is all about celebrating being a mom, which (obviously) includes our kids! Here are some gifts that will bring them into the fold, too.
- Take Care is one of my favorite local businesses, and its owner, Becky, has dreamt up a beautiful mom + child mask set just in time for Mother’s Day. Not only is it an indulgent mask, but it also offers an opportunity to talk with your children about self-care and kindness to themselves.
- Nook is offering at-home, socially distant family photo shoots this Mother’s Day. Registration includes a 10% contribution goes toward honoring and expressing gratitude to our frontline worker moms in our communities. Additionally, you will receive an exclusive gift offer from The Shop at Nook.
- The Striped Sheep isn’t local, but I love its premise. Founded by a New York mom of sons, the company designs classic striped shirts so moms can match their kids (both boys and girls). Buying from her gives back, too, with 10% of all purchases go to No Kid Hungry.
TREATS FOR MOM
Lastly, we have some small gifts that are beautiful gestures to mom to let her know you care and are grateful for all the work she’s doing, especially right now.
- Personalized gifts show a little extra thought went into them, and this tote bag from Tuckernuck is no exception. Their orders are shipping quickly from their Maryland warehouse, so it’ll arrive on time!
- Mallory Shelter is a local jewelry designer with beautiful minimalist jewelry, especially these hoops, which will add the perfect amount of sparkle to any mom’s day.
- One thing every mom loves? A few minutes alone to relax. These candles and bath salts from Handmade Habitat will give her just that.
- Flowers are always a good idea, but plants are great too, especially right now when we’re all at home with time to care for them. ReWild has a great selection and offers local delivery for orders over $60!
- Shop Made in DC, Salt & Sundry, and Steadfast Supply feature local artists and are open for business online.
- Are you at home and your wife is feeling inspired to decorate with art on the walls? Contact Lauren Heller Art Consultant to schedule a virtual consultation.
- Speaking of art, why not buy original artwork from Jennifer Allevato?! Her mixed media florals are fun and gorgeous!
- Kendra Scott isn’t necessarily local, but are open online and always has gorgeous options for mom too!